This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Post 900 Hike #37: Lakeshore, White Oak Branch, Forney Creek, Spring House Branch, Noland Creek





Today’s hike was one needed by several individuals working to join the 900 Mile Club (Bob Bolinger, Janetta Baker, Richard Ryburn, Diane Scarborough, & Charlie Woodward) as well as several others doing post-900 mile hikes (Cecil Rowe, John Kennerly, Amy Howe, Lowell Reid, and me). I arrived at Cecil’s at 06:40; as soon as John Kennerly arrived we set out to SVC in Cecil’s van. At SVC Bob joined us and the others proceeded in Charlie’s and Richard’s vehicles. Richard’s car was left at the Noland Creek parking lot on Lakeview Drive (hike's terminus); we then proceeded 0.7 mi. in two vehicles to the parking lot just prior to the tunnel.

At 9:45 we embarked on the first leg of our hike on Lakeshore Trail; I completed this 1.9 mi. section at 10:15. At 10:21 Amy, Richard, Lowell and I set out on the 1.8 mi. section of White Oak Branch; I completed this at 10:54. Here we waited for the rest of our group who had done the longer Lakeshore and Forney Creek sections. Our group of 10 then set our on a 1.3 mi. section of Forney Creek; I arrived there at 11:48. All of us ate our lunches at this point; the first picture presents our group and the second is a nearby very substantial fireplace from what used to be a settler's home. At 12:20 we set out on a 4.2 mi. section of Spring House Branch; I completed it at 13:50. It was rather tough in that there was a bit of up (~1500 ft); I wanted an aerobic workout and got it. (I got my HR to 142 thrice, 2 other times to 144, and once to 145.) John K. took the picture of me standing by the trail sign; at 14:38 we began this 2.8 mi. section of Spring House Branch Trail; we completed it at 15:39. At this point Cecil, John, and I set out on the very flat 4.1 mi. section of Noland Creek (a one-time road); we moved and arrived at the Noland Creek parking lot at 16:53.








Because Cecil’s vehicle was at the parking lot by the tunnel, I volunteered to go get it and John went with me (~0.7 mi. trek). When we returned Lowell was there; since Lowell could pass on the word about Cecil, John, and me, we were able to start our trip home without waiting for the remaining six to complete the hike. I arrived home 7:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home