This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Porters Creek Trail (2.7 miles new, 7.4 actually hiked)




It is my understanding that this hike is typically chosen this time of year because of the flowers on Porters Creek. Thus although it is a shorter hike than my faction of the Wed. group typically does, it was scheduled and Derl's group (those typically doing the shorter Wed. hike) joined us.

A host of people were at Food Lion; BJ had brought Cathryn & Bob (who recently moved from Iowa) and I offered to take them as well as Glen Marshall. Of the Food Lion group we were the first to arrive a Green Brier to begin the hike; we subsequently learned that some from the Knoxville subset of our group had arrived earlier. Many others also elected to do this trail because of the flowers that this trail presents at this time of year.

Although the hike was short, BJ and Glen identified many of the flowers that were in bloom as well as many others which were about to bloom. They really know the flora of the park. Today I forgot to bring my pedometer; with all the flower stops I had no clue on our mileage covered. Thus a short hike took much longer than my body thought it would take because once I get to a trail I typically move out unless I let someone else set the pace.

The pictures include (1) our group and (2) a 19th century cantilever barn that was in relatively good shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home