This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Jakes Creek Trail (3.3 in & 3.3 out)


My advertisement of 3 Friday hikes resulted in one taker if I could move one to Saturday. I picked up Anne at Food Lion at 8:00; because I had done West Prong yesterday, we picked Jakes Creek (out of Elkmont) over my remaining choice (Chestnut Top Trail).

Jakes Creek Trail rises ~1650 ft in its 3.3 mi. length; much of it parallels Jakes Creek and is quite scenic. Because of snow melt and rain, the creek had a good flow and for one crossing in particular we were thankful for our Gore-Tex lined boots. Two campers were at site 27. When we reached Jakes' Gap, the landscape was covered with snow and as might be expected, it was breezy. On the way out I saw another street of deserted houses that I had not (think Anne had not either) seen previously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home