This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Friday, February 24, 2006

West Prong (Out & In from Tremont, 5.4 mi)

Started solo on this one at 10:00. Near the end of the first mile there was a switchback that resulted in my walking on two sides of three deer at a top of a rise; much to my surprise one deer actually started walking towards me.

I was so fascinated by the stream (see Pic) that I passed trail where I should have turned and ended up at Campsite 18. Retraced my steps and one of the two campers who made their own campground fell in right behind me. Reached Bote Mtn Trail at 11:05; as I was having a snack the camper following me (Don) arrived (he was planning to do a clockwise loop beginning at Finley Cane). On the way back I visited his buddy Dick at Campsite 18; I was interested in looking at their tents, etc., for I may do a few overnight hikes to facilitate getting some of the trails. Heard a few good bear stories from Dick.

Trip back also took slightly more than one hour despite my 10-20 min. stay at Campground 18.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home