This blog covers my Smoky Mountain hikes; it also includes a link to pictures from one of my cross country ski ventures.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Post 900 Hike #17 (M-Prong, Lynn Camp Prong, Miry Ridge, Panther Creek, M-Prong

Met Dennis McAdams at the “Y” and we proceeded the short distance to Tremont and Middle Prong Trail. I was planning to pick up Bob Bolinger et al. after our hike and take them to their vehicles in Elkmont; Dennis offered to do it since it would be on his way home.

We started on Middle Prong at 8:40 and arrived at its junction with Panther Creek at 9:27 (2.3 mi.). At 10:07 we completed the next 1.8 mi. section of Middle Prong and hit Lynn Camp Prong. By 11:31 we completed this 3.7 mi. trail at its junction with Miry Ridge and decided to have lunch at this point for there were numerous logs upon which to sit. Somewhat to our surprise Bob and Amy came to this trail junction; they then returned to the place on Miry Ridge where they had left Diane and Janetta to have their lunch. Did not note the time when we set out on Miry Ridge; we passed our cohorts and finished this 2.5 mi. section at 12:57. Believe the latter section and our impending 2.3 mi. section of Panther Creek were all new trails for Dennis. At 13:49 we completed Panther Creek; the stream crossing just prior to its terminus at Middle Prong was “rock hopable.” During the past few weeks stream levels have been extremely low in the GSMNP. We then returned on the 2.3 mi. section of Middle Prong and were at our cars at 14:34.

Even though Dennis had offered to transport Bob, Janetta, and Diane back to Elkmont since it was on his way home, I thought that I should. During my wait for them I iced my knee and had an enjoyable talk with a couple from Pittsburgh; this was their second trip to the Park and were thinking of becoming hikers. I believe I sold them on the idea.